Monday, March 06, 2006

Illustration Friday: Insect



My ever most favorite insect would be the fabulous Bee. Dunno why, but there ya go. I was supposed to do a little animation for the letter V, but after some whining and bribing, got to do B. I'm not going to post the movie, but basically, Bear swipes at honey, Bees swarm from hive and chase poor hungry Bear as background pans, and then after Bear runs off screen, big letter B made of Bees pans on.

There were some actual sketches buried in the photoshop files. I think I was trying to figure out a watercolor type look, that I gave up on and decided to go with what I knew since I had a tight deadline. I also found another quick sketch for figuring out how the pan would work here. Gives you an idea of sloppy I am at the start of a project.



I decided to draw the final background lines on actual paper. Since the pan was so wide, it just was a little easier to handle, plus I like the softer line you get with a pencil. I usually draw with a blue or red Colorerase pencil (I like the texture), and convert it to grayscale after scanning.



The next step is about the coolest photoshop trick ever. Open the Channels palette. At the bottom are a few icons - click on the dotted circle - this will select the WHITE. Go back to the Layers palette, make a new layer, then INVERT the selection. Then fill the selection with Black, or whatever color. This will give you your lines, in beautiful grayscale, on a transparent background.




Now that your lines are on a transparent layer, you can turn on the Preserve Transparency button (it is the little checkerboard near the top of the Layers Palette) and color and shade your lines.



When coloring this background, I had a ton of layers. I like to fill in a solid color for each different area - for example a tree trunk layer, pine tree layer, foreground grass layer, midground grass layer. I turn on the Preserve Transparency, and then shade away. Next, I go to the Line layer, and color the line to match the shading below. Then I usually have another layer above the Line layer for fixes and touchups.

The bees and the bear were drawn directly in Photoshop using default brushes. I turned on the Drop Shadow in Layer Styles on the Bee layer to make it pop a little from the background.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

lovely illos!!

Unknown said...

how great your illos are! I love them all!

Roz Foster said...

Adorable insect and the rest of your blog illustrations are so charming. Your "Queenie" is arresting with its colors and the richness of detail. I enjoyed your "Cats," as well. Endearing and so well composed. Very nice work!

Бистра said...

Oh! I totally adore your work! You're so talanted!

HOLLi CONGER said...

Your work is great! Love your colors.

Cindy said...

Your illustration is beautiful and fun to look at. The bees are enchanting. And thank you for the how-to. There are so many things I don't have a clue about in Photoshop. Now, I have learned a new trick!

Ellen said...

I am sooooo glad I happened upon your site!!! You are awesome!!! AND the lesson will come in handy!

trowbridge chronicles said...

You draw and paint very well. I'll look for your work on future IFs.

sammo said...

I love your how-tos... I'm glad you posted another one.

Angela Matteson said...

I'm in love with your illustration style! Your soft backgrounds are beautiful.
I was just trying to remember that linework trick, so thank you so much for writing it out.

Anette Heiberg said...

Great illustrations and sketches. Your characters are so cute, and I love your backgrounds!
www.wynlen.no

Unknown said...

Great looking illos and style. I may have to see if your techniques translate over to Paint Shop Pro. From the sounds of it, they should. Always looking for new techniques to add to my "vocabulary". Thanks for sharing!

Christina Forshay said...

I really, really love your work and appreciate your "how-to's". Awesome. Have you ever tried the Peel Off White photoshop filter? You can google it online (dont know how to add a link here). It basically takes your line drawings and extracts them from the background, making the background transparent. Kinda similar to the channels step you showed us. Rock on! Love your stuff and I look forward to every post!

-christina

kaicito said...

you certainly do the Beehive State proud :)
thanks for giving us a step-by-step

Craig Mackay said...

Great post. It's great to see your process and the ilustrations are inspiring as always.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
My name is Lise Quinn. I am the editor for a small magazine. I would like to talk to you about your Bear and honey picture. I can be reached at editor@thebeltanepapers.net