Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Mighty Cree-A-tor



So here's a little piece of nostalgia, or humble pie, or maybe just a good laugh - however you want to look at it. My grandmother passed away a few days ago and on the practical side of things, that left a big house full of a whole bunch of stuff to sort through and disperse. I got a few pretty darn cool things my mom picked out for me (thanks grandma!), as well as any gifts I had given to grandma over the years. This painting had been hanging on the wall for the past 18 years. Pretty wild. I'd like to think I've learned a thing or four since then....

This was among the first oil paintings I think I ever did. You can see the strong William Alexander influence with the tap tap tap of the mighty fan brush, and the signature Alexander palette knife mountains. Classy! He was the mastermind being the whole "wet-on-wet" technique - of which Bob Ross was a disciple. If you never saw his show, just imagine Bob Ross-ism's shouted with a Prussian accent. My favorite as he slapped on some fan brush blobs that resembled pine trees: "You are the Mighty Creator!"

7 comments:

Craig Mackay said...

Happy Trees!

radimus said...

I loved watching Bob Ross paint when I was little!

I was always transfixed by his afro, his decorator's brush technique for large background fills :D , and his frequent lapses into the dark side when he would hint at his experiences in Vietnam.

Anonymous said...

His afro was cool but the squirrel in his shirt pocket that came out to eat peanuts was what floored me.
The squirrel wasn't there all the time but when he was, watch out happy little friends!

Kactiguy said...

Wonderful painting. I'm in awe. Sorry to hear about grandma.

Anonymous said...

I have looked at that painting (and lamp)many times over the years and envied your talent. I still look at your stuff and marvel!

heather

Mike Brooks said...

I love Bob Ross. I recognized that style of painting immediately. I noticed you gave that bare hardwood tree a little friend. That was sweet. Love it!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your Grandma. :( If that was your first, I bet your others are great, too! I didn't even know you did oil paintings.

Becky