Friday, February 17, 2006

Queenie

So here's what happens when I have plenty of time to do a picture. All I had to do was paint a Queen, however I wanted, and I had 2 whole days to spend on it.



Done entirely in Photoshop, sketch to finish. Once I had the sketch, I worked it up a bit to more of a value study. Then, under this layer, I filled in the big solid areas of color. Once that was worked out (what color to make the dress, the throne, etc.), everything else was painted above the value study layer.

Most of it was painted with a mix of the default Spatter brushes and Soft Round brushes - usually at 10-20% transparency. The texture on the throne was some random swirly brush I found in my palette, to which I turned on the Scatter feature.

The little finger blendie tool (sorry, the Smudge Tool) is really great for making fur. I had the basic shading done on the fur trim of her cloak, and then used the Smudge Tool with a Spatter brush to happily smudge away - hopefully making it look like fur.

I used a lot of Layer Styles in this one. The patterns on the sleeves and the collar were drawn 100% opaque, then I turned on the Drop Shadow, changed the layers to Soft Light, and adjusted the Layer Opacity to make it more subtle.

Used the Drop Shadows Layer Style on all those crazy jewels and pearl clusters on the dress. I used the Bevel feature on all the tiny pearls so I didn't have to shade them, as well as adding a Drop Shadow. That saved a bit of time.

And finally when all was done, I had a huge light yellow soft round brush, set to Color Dodge to brighten a few spots like the crown, her face, hair, a little bit of highlight on the dress.

So that's basically it. Had a lot of fun going crazy with the detail on this one.

15 comments:

Piotr said...

Nice! I need to get a bigger wacom!
The cintiq are a little expensive, but the results are awesome.

Carol Roque said...

beautiful detail..her hand almost looks rubbery to me..I like it. great hair, great foldie parts in the dress. its beautiful

Christina Forshay said...

wow! beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I love your work! any suggestions for a novice in the field of illustration?

SteveLambe said...

Fantastic blog, Mary. Really inspiring to see someone able to slide between such different styles so easily.

Craig Mackay said...

Wow! You have a new fan! Beautiful work.

David Lloyd Stewart said...

OH...MY...GAWD! What a FABULOUS illustration! I love your style, and the execution is flawless. I didn't know such wonderful work could be done in Photoshop.

IamOSI said...

beautifuly done! its simlpy amazing. diggin the attention to detail.

Chrissie A said...

This is really gorgeous! The detailed description of your process is a really nice bonus. :)

Unknown said...

wow it's beautiful, your stuff is amazing!

Anonymous said...

I think this is a great example, but I would have liked to see it step-by-step. Good work though.

Anonymous said...

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the kind comments! (I'm just really glad people aren't pointing out all the little things that I was too lazy to fix... lol.)

Unknown said...

This is so pretty, it makes me want to weep.

Anonymous said...

So beautiful! Great work - thanks for the overview of how you do things too! I love to learn new techniques. Your illustrations are wonderful! Thank you for sharing them with us!

Anonymous said...

TWO days? TWO??? Holy mother of....