Sunday, June 11, 2006

Pop-Up Book



About a year ago I did two flap/pop-up books for Reader's Digest. Looks like Simon & Schuster is selling the Backpack one, can't find the Closet one anywhere... Anyway, I kind of forgot about them, and when I got an email from the art director about another possible project, they were surprised I'd never seen the final product. It took some digging, but my copies were found with my rep, and now I've finally seen what they look like all put together with the pop-ups and flaps working. Kind of fun.



This project was a little different. The art director had made really tight comps for me to follow since there was all that die-cut business to worry about. The final spreads were the most fun - the paper engineer sent me a template with all the pieces already figured out, I basically just had to draw inside the die-cut lines.



Sorry about the bad photos, but those are supposed to be little happy maggots on the chocolate bar. That was a fun project - got to draw stinky fish heads, maggots, slugs, moldy sandwiches, slime and lots of other gross things.

4 comments:

Kactiguy said...

You are the Pop-up-super-star!! May I please stand in you shadow.

Anonymous said...

sis

you are magical.

love the book & the jumping-on-the-bed kids!

Anonymous said...

Happened to be browsing my Children's Book of the Month Club catalog that came today and lo and behold I see a rather familiar looking backpack book...

http://www.cbomc.com/doc/browse/detail/product_detail.jhtml?repositoryId=477429B113

heather

Anonymous said...

i'm great fun of your work...
can u pls show us how to make this kind of pop up like the one pictured above...

thanks....
more power to you... :)

Richard
ionman001@yahoo.com