Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The Crook Book


bigger version

So have I mentioned lately how much I like Flash? Here are a few illos from a little book I recently finished. All the drawing and color was done in Flash. (It is so fast and slick to draw in there.) I basically drew everything with the pencil tool, did some flat fill style coloring, deleted all the outlines, and then exported the finished pic to Photoshop. (Export image as a .png)

Here's what it looked like coming out of Flash:



Once in Photoshop, all I did was add a few layers of textures, just to spice it up a little. A long time ago I had used a toothbrush to splatter india ink all over a piece of paper. This scan has come in pretty handy over the years. The first layer of texture is of the black splatters, and the layer property is set to Overlay. Then a second layer, in which I've changed the black splatters to white splatters, is set to Soft Light. The third layer is from a scan of a piece of fake black velvet paper - I think it's for scrapbooking or something. I increased the contrast, created a channel that got rid of the white, and changed the black to a nice tangeriney orange color. This layer is set to Soft Light as well, and all the blues change into these nifty purples and raspberry colors.

Close-up of the textures:



And a couple other pages from the book:
(d'oh! I just noticed his hand is backwards in the second one down - I'll fix it later... heh... or maybe it's a special crook lock-picking tool attached to his wrist. Yeah! That works!)




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

have you done any books about dinosaurs? Luke is very into them...

heather

Anonymous said...

hey Heather!

Sorry, no dinosaur books. I think the closest I've gotten is a book with a dinosaur book in it. ;-) I also once had a project to do some dinosaur puzzles, but it fell through. Ces la vie... made the pilgrammage to Vernal yet? That'd make a happy boy!

Anonymous said...

Hey Noelap - thanks!

Flash is great for making relatively simple shapes really fast. Illustrator is much more powerful for illustrating, but it also has way more than what I need. That's why I keep going back to Flash - it's fast, and I like the shortcut way of working you can't really do in Illustrator.

I don't mean to push Flash on to people, or say it's the end-all and be-all, because it's not for everyone. But I like it, and it does what I need it to.

Jannie aka Chickengirl said...

Just wanted to say you are sooo good at what you do...in so many different styles. You rock! Enjoying you blog alot.

Craig Mackay said...

great designs! Love the crook!

Unknown said...

LOL great design, I love how you visually tell the story too! Kind of feel bad for the thief! LOL Evil me!

Bearuh said...

Thanks for the tutorial.. you got style!