Friday, April 28, 2006

Illustration Friday: Under the Sea



Another letter of the alphabet - this time O for Octopus. (B was posted earlier.) I guess I was thinking of old Mary Blair illustrations and vintage Golden Books when I did this. Done all in Photoshop, I made the textures by making a custom brush. I started with a Spatter Brush (my favorite brush, and it's in the default palette.) Then I adjusted the spacing and played around with the jitter stuff and you get a brush that has a kind of chalky dry brush effect.



Here's a close-up of the effect. This ended up being a super fast way to do some shading. I had a lot of fun coloring this.

17 comments:

http://bear-in-lille.blogspot.com/ said...

So cute and well done

neli said...

what a nice little thing ??..ı like it ...ı want it as a friend :)
bye bye

Cindy said...

What a cutie! His eyes and his round head sort of remind me of Casper the Friendly Ghost, looking for a friend. Thanks for sharing your Photoshop technique. I only know how to use a tiny fraction of what it's actually capable of.

Piotr said...

O-hh! Very nice!

Katili said...

Dancing octopus, beautiful colouring and fine drawing.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I felt in love with him... and after that, with u for sharing ur technique.
Beautiful!

stp-illustrations said...

Very cute!

HARDWAX said...

Wow, this is just so cool, beautiful and unique design you have in your very cute octopus O. Love it!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Looks even nicer close up. Really great colors and character. Nice job, and thanks for sharing your technique.

Ziyue Chen said...

thanks for sharing!! great illo :)

Craig Mackay said...

Great Illustration. Love the octopous!

Kactiguy said...

Yeah, it's cute I guess. If you like octopusseses that are cute and stuff. I think it would be better if it was attacking a big ship. It could have sailors in it's tentacles. That would be cool. Like the new banner though.

Unknown said...

PRETTY!! Great color and CUTE octo!!

paulinho said...

I always come here and learn a lot. It’s very important to know the artist and how he works. Congratulations and thanks for this wonderful job. Could you say something about my drawings (http://www.paulinhocouto.blogspot.com)? Sorry about my English. Hug.

Mia Charro said...

Hi! i´m very happy for meeting you!! Thank you very much for your tutorials. Your work is breathtaking!
:)

Unknown said...

Those splatter brushes are awesome. They make such a great effect.

Anonymous said...

Nine tentacles??