Wednesday, January 25, 2006

fla's and png's and psd's, oh my!

I was thinking I haven't posted any illos for a long time, much less a how-I-done-did-it. I've been using Macromedia Flash quite a bit lately as a sort of drawing tool. It makes nice clean lines and shapes, which I am dreadfully slow doing freehand in Photoshop. (If you're wondering why I'm not using Illustrator, Flash is ten times faster and easier if you are doing simple outline drawings like I have been.)

So here are a couple backgrounds for a computer game I've been working on. I started with a rough sketch in Photoshop. Save that as a .jpg and import it into Flash.



From there I start making all kinds of layers. I use the line and pencil tools and draw each *thing* on a separate layer. For this activity, I had to be able to put objects in front and behind the bushes, rocks, etc, so there are a bit more layers than I would have needed if it was just a flat illustration. Each layer is shown in the sample as a different color.



Then I save out each layer separately - exporting as a .png to keep the lines on a transparent background. I open the .png's in Photoshop, and then arrange all the layers into one big ol' .psd file. Below each line layer, I have a fill layer of the area of the object. Once the object is all shaded how I like, it's a toss-up what to do with the line layer. Sometimes I delete it, sometimes I turn on the preserve transparency for the layer, and shade the line to blend in with the shading of the filled area. I don't really have any good logic to back up when I do one or the other.



So that's basically it. It's a fast way to get a tight final drawing and nice crisp edges in the painting, if that's what you're looking for. Sorry this isn't too super in-depth and technical, but I'd be happy to explain more details if people want.

Another example:



There are lots more line layers, but it was a bit too confusing, so just the basics are in the above sample. The checkered floor, stones on the walls, patterns on the pennants, etc. were all done in Flash as well, and then exported over to Photoshop.



I did the same deal with all the objects that fill up these scenes. I don't always follow the imported lines exactly, but they make a nice place to start. Here are a few:





I still have two more backgrounds I'm working on - I'll post them when I'm finished: an Egyptian tomb, and a Chinese courtyard, which got crazy complicated. These have been pretty fun to work on, as well as make all the zillions of little objects that go everywhere in the scenes.

And there ya go! Whew! Hope there was something useful in all that.

13 comments:

sammo said...

Illustrations don't get any better. I'm so glad I found your blog.

Please keep posting your processes... they're extremely helpful. Espcially how streamlined you seem to work.

MehmetSaygin said...

Hi,
This is exactly how I work.
I also find Flash easier and faster than Freehand or Illustrator, it is a fantastic tool.Until the print process :)

Btw, your artwork is fantastic.

Piotr said...

Gorgeous colors! I gotta start working harder!

Julián Höek said...

hi, i love the way you painted the desert background!!
could you please do a more extended tutorial on how to do it?? becouse i'm new with flash and it would be VERY helpfull to me. thanks!!

milanrubio said...

Hi Maryn, It's fantastic discover that we share the same workflow. Flash, png and photoshop!
Great work,sure I'll come back here.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the insights, Maryn. We hear plenty of requests to smooth out the process of going from Photoshop to Flash, but I wasn't aware that folks were going in the other direction. We'll have to give that some thought (as well as how to make Illustrator as fast and easy as Flash for simple line work).

J.

Anonymous said...

Thanks everyone! I still have two more backgrounds I've been working on here and there done with this same technique. I think when I get them done I'll post another more in-depth tutorial. Sounds like it might be helpful.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

yes please post the in-depth tutorial, it would be very helpful.
your work is great by the way!

Anonymous said...

how do you save the Flash layers as individual png files. I'm thinking temporarily change the other layers to a mask layer, so you don't see them, and export as a png, then do that for each layer?
is there a better way? if you'll cover this in your tutorial then I can wait, thanks for a cool blog.

Knife and Onions said...

Hi Maryn,

I use a very similar technique at work! I wish Illustrator was easier to use and more intuitive.

An FLA to layered PSD would be great, wouldn't it?

Love the work here!

Mike Brooks said...

Maryn,

So why do you use Flash? Is it easier than Illustrator? If that's the case, why not use Corel Draw? I'm just curious. I always figured Flash more useful for internet animation.

Regardless, I love your work.

MB

Anonymous said...

Hi - thanks folks! An FLA to layered PSD would be Super Cool!

I finally posted the promised tutorial that might answer a few more question (It's the China/Egypt backgrounds). Regarding the post about changing layers temporarily to mask layers - cool idea. I'll try it. I just got so used to doing a select all, paste in new doc and export, that I didn't think to try another method. Thanks!

Mike - I use Flash because I find it easier than Illustrator. It has more shortcut tricks that I like, though Illustrator is definitely better if you are doing complicated illustrations. Since I am only using Flash for basic outlines, I don't need all the super powerful nifty things that Illustrator does. I've never used Corel Draw, so can't speak to that. I happened to already have Flash for the purpose of doing internet animation, and just happened to find another handy use for it. Hope that answers your questions. Thanks!

-maryn

Anonymous said...

I saw this blog just now-4 years later!!!I just hope that this page still has a pulse.Question:i use flash for basically everything.But the problem is that some clients demand that they have a working (layered) version to my work,but they insist that it is done in photoshop.So,what can i do?!?!?!Please help,because,i don't want to denounce flash.Thanks in advance.

Subform