Sunday, August 14, 2005

Icons - part one



Who knew when I took a break from working Saturday to go junkin' with my junkin' pal Bill, that I would discover I could absolutely not live another day without a 19th century Russian Orthodox Icon. Well. It happened.

I don't know much about it, just that it is called a Mary Mother of God of Iver, the region it's from in the former Republic of Georgia. The dark box around it is called a Kiot, which was used to hold the icons when the priests would carry them around.



Deciding to make an orthodox day of it, on the way out of town, I took Bill to see the "Virgin of Guadalupe" tree. Sorry to report that we could not see the Virgin Mary in the tree knot. Didn't look like much of anything to me. It must have changed over the years, cause it currently looks nothing like this picture.

Anyway, a fine day had. My icon now happily hangs in my studio next to a Mexican marionette bought across the alley from the Alamo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Remember the Alamo!